Tuesday, July 31, 2012

HEY!!! Who changed my Helper.dll?

Ever want to share a class in Visual Studio without having the overhead of the good 'ol "Helper.dll"?

Try this instead...
Adding an Existing Item as a Link

It is a very rarely used and under appreciated feature of Visual Studio that I didn't know existed until recently.

Here is why this is good:
  • You have less DLL's
  • You still have the ability to share classes.
  • When you compile your code you always have the latest version of the class unlike a copy of the class.
  • Once you compile, that build will always have that version of the class until you build again.
  • Sharing Is Caring...OK, OK, I am done


Downfalls:
  • I can't think of one can you?

Thanks to my coworker and this blog post for helping me realize this possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment